Question Asset(s) both free on the hub and flagged as PC (paid content)?

Metix

Reactions
Hey VaMerators,

So I'm getting a scene(look) all set up as my first post to the hub and I'm well aware of that I'm not alone in having trouble with the license/dependency rabbit hole.

But, I'm having special trouble with one asset in particular. It's a hairstyle that is both hub hosted with a CC BY license as well as being PC from VaMX. The PC flag only shows up inside the VaM editor. It's the same asset, and the creator is listed as the same contributor. And because it's tied to VaMX the editor won't even let me delete it so I could try to download the hosted version (which the hub says is in my library).

So I'm a little confused on how to proceed. Is this PC and always will be or was it originally posted as CC BY and then integrated into VamX? At this point I would really love some way to completely remove VaMX from my VaM install (not even sure if that's possible) because of all of the assets that are considered locked in as PC because they are packaged in VaMX, and they're just making it that much more difficult to package my own .var file.

I originally picked up VaM from when it was on Steam for a hot minute, so I'm stuck with the VaMX key/build/license for now.

Here's a link to the hair asset, if anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
As long as you use NoStage3's hair (CC BY) and not the repacked version in the vamX VAR (PC), you're good.

It doesn't matter where you got VaM from or that you also have vamX packages, what matters is the license on the resource you're using. I don't know how mixed in is vamX on the Steam version, on the Patreon version vamX is just a couple of VARs you add I think, easy to remove. Perhaps for this is best to ask in Discord on the vamX channels for more information.
Worst case scenario, you buy a 8$ key in Patreon and you're set with a new VaM.
As long as you use NoStage3's hair (CC BY) and not the repacked version in the vamX VAR (PC), you're good.

It doesn't matter where you got VaM from or that you also have vamX packages, what matters is the license on the resource you're using. I don't know how mixed in is vamX on the Steam version, on the Patreon version vamX is just a couple of VARs you add I think, easy to remove. Perhaps for this is best to ask in Discord on the vamX channels for more information.
Worst case scenario, you buy a 8$ key in Patreon and you're set with a new VaM.

Upvote 1
Solution
Hey, thanks for the tip. I actually found a workaround by downloading the individual asset and it loaded up as and identical, but separate, hair asset... complete with the CC BY license.

As far as VaMX goes, I'll look into what it might take to extract it from my version a bit later. In the weeds on my scene right now, so simple solutions are the best atm.

Thanks @atani !

Upvote 0
Make sure you read this:

Upvote 1
Make sure you read this:
Good read, thanks! I would say that I should have seen this earlier, but I really only learn by jumping straight into things and then course correcting once I hit a brick wall or several dozen.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom