• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Question Anyone try VAM with a 3080 or 3090 yet?

geo_gan

Reactions
If so, upgraded from what and did you notice much speedup?

I want to upgrade the previous graphs I made for this when the new cards are available and we can try them out.

I realise though that existing VAM benchmarks run on very small and old test suite, which do not really reflect current large complex scenes and all the new features (such as sim hair and clothes) so it might be better to get Meshed or someone to come up with a better standard benchmark test scene first.

2019-04-11_13-41-31.png

I just got a 3090 installed today, I'll have time to test it tomorrow, I know with my i7-6700k and 16gb ram with a 1080, having more than one people on the screen at times would be pretty rough. I am hoping this improves it as I work my way towards a Pimax 8k headset or wait on the new samsung 10,000ppi headset with no screendown.

Upvote 0
I have a 3080 and an i9 and I can't play at max settings. I have to go one down otherwise I'm running 16 fps. I'm on a HTC Pro running at a pretty high res though. Is there a particular benchmark you want me to run?

What I think my relevant specs are below.
Processors : Intel Core i9 10850K 10-Core 3.6GHz (5.1GHz TurboBoost)
Motherboard : ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E Gaming
Memory : 32GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 3200MHz RGB (2x16GB)
Graphics Cards : NVIDIA 10GB GeForce RTX 3080
Power Supply : CORSAIR AX1600i ATX PLATINUM

Upvote 0
I feel like with a 3090 it should handle a next step up in resolution load more than anything with the 10,000 cuda core

being able to increase the resolution and not bring it to its knees is the biggest advantage I assume. As opposed to graphic effects or faster hz.

Resolution and supersampling options opening a bit compared to a 2080ti.

Upvote 0
I have a 3080 FE and a Ryzen 9 5900x, 32GB RAM. Its a decent improvement over my Ryzen 3800x and 2070 Super, but not that much that screams that you need to upgrade. Frame rate is still shit when you load a scene with 3 or more models. I'm using a Valve Index. There is a plugin called GiveMeFPS which seems to help a bit by auto adjusting some settings.

Upvote 0
I just got an RX 6800 XT (I know it's not the card specified in the topic, but it's a current gen card). Coming from an RX 580 8GB, I can see an improvement. Where I used to get 20-25 fps I now get closer to 50. I can also turn a mirror's resolution up to 4k without my game crashing (4 mirrors, actually).

Have a Ryzen 7 2700 and 16GB of 3200 RAM. If you have a last gen card it's probably not worth the upgrade, but if you have an older budget card, it will definitely make a difference.

Upvote 0
I just got an RX 6800 XT (I know it's not the card specified in the topic, but it's a current gen card). Coming from an RX 580 8GB, I can see an improvement. Where I used to get 20-25 fps I now get closer to 50. I can also turn a mirror's resolution up to 4k without my game crashing (4 mirrors, actually).

Have a Ryzen 7 2700 and 16GB of 3200 RAM. If you have a last gen card it's probably not worth the upgrade, but if you have an older budget card, it will definitely make a difference.
Thanks for your info it's most helpful. May I also ask, in this particular scenario with the four mirrors on. How many charictors are in the scene and what is your VRAM usage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is mostly the bloated old VaM version that is the main performance killer imho. It was a good platform on which all the fancy stuff and aditional physics were added the last years, but now it is overchallanged. This is one of the reasons why Meshed is building everything new from bottom up in the future version 2.

Upvote 0
Went from a 1070 ti to a 3080 and the improvement is significant.
What was movement in syrup is now toned down to a light mist
Still, keep mirrored reflections at mid level...don't go 4096 insanity else you're back to syrup..and watch the hair physics (theres a good tutorial on how to cut it down without losing quality)

Upvote 0
Went from an I-7 6950X with a GTX 1080 to an I-9 10900KF with an RTX 3090 (both with 32 GB of RAM). Got a reasonable improvement in VAM and can now run most 2-character scenes at medium resolution around 45 fps, though sometimes I use the helpful GiveMeFPS plugin. As I recall, with the old rig I mostly ran in Low resolution at under 30 fps. Looking forward to Version 2, but in the meantime, I still find VAM to be an amazing program.

Upvote 0
I used a 3090. Hair is still the performance killer.

I can go from 42 fps to 210 fps just by removing the hair on a look like the Clara M (free), if I'm zoomed at face level on the desktop. That's 5x performance!

NoStage's Messy Bob (free) with 16 curve density and 17 hair multiplier remains around 180-200 fps. It's one of the most VR friendly hairs for me in terms of performance. It's like a free upgrade if you use this for the female and no hair for the male.

(May not go well with every look. The face needs to be feminine enough on it's own, without a long hair.)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom