Add person atom to different location

Tex

Reactions
Hello,

I often run into the problem of when I add a person atom into my scene, that atom spawns in the exact location of another person atom already in my scene and they both start to explode unless I can quickly move the newly added person atom out of the way. This works but it often dorks up the pose of the person atom already in my scene.

This also happens when I load a pose to my person atom. I save poses from my scenes so I don't have to start from scratch and recreate the pose when I create a new scene. But when I add the pose, the person "jumps" to an unexpected location in my scene. Although the person is in the correct pose, it sometimes ends up in a place in my scene that causes a collision with other atoms.

Wondering if there's a way to specify a point when adding atoms to a scene.

Thanks.

@Tex
Well... x=0 y=0 z=0 is default position for person atom (when you add it).
As for plugin or something to change that core "spawn" position, i don't think such option exists (that i know of).

What you could do is:
1) avoid creating your scene around "spawn" point (keep area around X & Z -1+ empty, basically 2x2 area)
2) use subScene with new person atom on different position
-subscene atom also spawns at 0-0-0, you could create few of them with default person atom inside, on different locations (example: x-1, x1, z-1, z1...etc)
that whay if you have scene at 0-0 simply load subscene with person atom at x=-1, so it doesn't collide.
after that unparent person from subscene and delete subscene atom.

As for loading poses and changing position...
Make sure you use newer pose presets and not legacy stuff on control & physics 1 tab
Legacy poses have root position saved and for pose presets is optional (Store Root Node in Pose option).
If pose doesn't have root position enabled/saved, it's gonna load pose at same location (without changing person root position).

As for explosions with collisions...
There's old Explosion Limiter plugin by Extraltodeus (some say it's unnecessary, i still add it onto everyone inside scene). 🤷‍♂️
Can't remember last time i had collision explosion...

As for plugin or something to change that core "spawn" position, i don't think such option exists (that i know of).

That's too bad. I would think that would be a useful plugin. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before, seems like a common issue. Or maybe it's just me. 🤪

1) avoid creating your scene around "spawn" point (keep area around X & Z -1+ empty, basically 2x2 area)

Yep, I always, always, always forget to do that. I was looking for an easy way out, lol.

2) use subScene with new person atom on different position

I hadn't thought about this. What a fantastic idea. Definitely going to try this.

Make sure you use newer pose presets and not legacy stuff on control & physics 1 tab

Yeah, I've always had problems with those legacy poses. Props to the users who have made them but I always seem to have issues, especially with the male genitalia oddly enough. The erect morph would just stop working so I stopped using them. They're great for coming up with scene ideas though.

There's old Explosion Limiter plugin by Extraltodeus (some say it's unnecessary, i still add it onto everyone inside scene).

I've seen that but never used it. I think I'll give it a shot. I've had an explosion here and there, usually when I make the male genitalia too big. More often though, the male genitalia will poke through the stomach or the back of the other atom so I'll usually back off the length or size till it stops.

Thanks for the reply @RandomVAMUser I appreciate all the help I can get. Cheers!

Yeah, I've always had problems with those legacy poses. Props to the users who have made them but I always seem to have issues, especially with the male genitalia oddly enough. The erect morph would just stop working so I stopped using them. They're great for coming up with scene ideas though.
Legacy poses also store pose morphs, maybe that's why. 😉
It's not that hard to convert legacy pose to new preset (sure, it's gonna require some time, but easy enough, detach person root option helps).
Also plus for pose presets (aside from root store) is bone store and snap bone option.

If you already have a character at x=0, y=0 and z=0 when adding a new character... just disable the collision on the existing character before adding the new one!
Then move the new one and you can re-enable the collision :)

Or if you use Keybinding plugin: there is a "clone" shortcut that will spawn an exact copy of your active atom at the exact same place, except the collision will be automatically set to "Off" on the new atom.

If you already have a character at x=0, y=0 and z=0 when adding a new character... just disable the collision on the existing character before adding the new one!

Or if you use Keybinding plugin: there is a "clone" shortcut that will spawn an exact copy of your active atom at the exact same place, except the collision will be automatically set to "Off" on the new atom.
about collision toggle:
It's an option, but i think disabling collision could cause more issues, especially if not using timeline.
or if you have furniture or some object in the way.

Disabling collision can cause characters to clip under the floor (feet/toes) when re-enabled, also if on top furniture(or some object) hands can clip under/into it.
or collision could fail to re-enable by VaM's error detection thingy (on person). 🤷‍♂️

Granted, saving and loading a scene "could" fix clipping....
Freezing physics while draging is an option, but has own issues with ding-dong popping out (+reseting cloth sim).

as for keybind:
If it doesn't freezes physics on all characters and only toggles collision on new person copy,
than it's def. a better option (than one above). 😉

I always turn off collision of the characters already in the scene before I add a new one.

It would be nice if the characters that spawned would automatically spawn a few feet away from the spawn point if there were a character already there. It is one of the first 'glitches' I noticed when playing VAM, even though it isn't technically a glitch, but still is annoying when you are starting out.

It is interesting to see the characters flying around like popped balloons, though. Very surreal. Maybe someone could make a scene like this intentionally as an experimental art project...

Last edited:
In addition to all the workarounds mentioned above, I would also recommend the paid session plugin Spawn of @fabio (https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/spawn.5852/).
It allows you to spawn any person or other atoms from other scenes and has the very useful option to spawn them with collision disabled. Which would btw be also a very useful option for the regular built-in add atom/person feature.

@ZRSX

Not sure why I didn't think of disabling collision on the existing character, that seems pretty obvious. I guess my brain gets a little distracted when I'm in VaM if you know what I mean, lol. 😜

I'll check out Keybinding, I'm always looking for more efficient ways to do things.

about collision toggle:
It's an option, but i think disabling collision could cause more issues, especially if not using timeline.
or if you have furniture or some object in the way.

Disabling collision can cause characters to clip under the floor (feet/toes) when re-enabled, also if on top furniture(or some object) hands can clip under/into it.
or collision could fail to re-enable by VaM's error detection thingy (on person). 🤷‍♂️

Granted, saving and loading a scene "could" fix clipping....
Freezing physics while draging is an option, but has own issues with ding-dong popping out (+reseting cloth sim).

as for keybind:
If it doesn't freezes physics on all characters and only toggles collision on new person copy,
than it's def. a better option (than one above). 😉

@RandomVAMUser

Yeah, I have noticed those clipping issues. Definitely going to check out the Keybinding plugin as a possible solution.

It would be nice if the characters that spawned would automatically spawn a few feet away from the spawn point if there were a character already there. It is one of the first 'glitches' I noticed when playing VAM, even though it isn't technically a glitch, but still is annoying when you are starting out.

@qoosh
Right, very annoying and I'm surprised my question doesn't come up more often. Seems like this should have happened to everyone at one time or another, and often too. Even more surprised someone hasn't come up with a plugin to address it, although I don't know if it's even possible.

In addition to all the workarounds mentioned above, I would also recommend the paid session plugin Spawn of @fabio (https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/spawn.5852/).
It allows you to spawn any person or other atoms from other scenes and has the very useful option to spawn them with collision disabled. Which would btw be also a very useful option for the regular built-in add atom/person feature.

@Virt-a-Dict
Thanks for the plugin recommendation. I've seen it before but know that you mention it, it does seem like it would be an extreme time-saver. I'm going to check it out again. Thanks!

There is an easy fix for this. Just go to your existing person physics and disable the collision on her. Then add the person atom and
move it to where you want and finally re-enable collision.

@qoosh
Right, very annoying and I'm surprised my question doesn't come up more often. Seems like this should have happened to everyone at one time or another, and often too. Even more surprised someone hasn't come up with a plugin to address it, although I don't know if it's even possible.
Its just easier to adapt to the way VAM works in this case. Spawn something -> move it out of the way, easy :)

Back
Top Bottom